Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Robert Falcon Scott.

I was randomly invited to go ride bikes out to Hut Point this evening, which was awesome because a) I hadn't ridden a bike in awhile, and b) Discovery Hut was open for tour!

Discovery Hut was built in 1902 by Robert Falcon Scott, who I would like to meet just so I can tell him that his name rocks.


Anyway, the hut was built on the Discovery Expedition as a storage facility and laboratory. It was never used as sleeping quarters, because it is extremely drafty and very cold inside. There is a main storage area, a kitchen, a laboratory, and a slaughterhouse with the carcasses of 2 lambs and 2 penguins. Nope, not kidding. There is also a handful of poor frozen seal carcasses, blubber and all. They definitely don't smell that great, but given that they have been there for awhile, it could be much worse! Interestingly, they used the lab for gravitational experiments -- they thought that being on the bottom of the planet would cause gravity to behave in a different way. (It doesn't, in case you were wondering. If you fall on a bike, you still fall down, and it still hurts.)

I only had my little pocket Canon on me, so I didn't get the greatest quality pictures, but they are still pretty neat. I'm excited to go back with my big camera and get some more shots. The lighting was awesome in the hut, and it shifted like crazy! (I did do some photo editing for fun!)





Courvoisier.

Yep. Seals.

There is still seal in that pot!
  



Peace, Love, & Insulation :)

1 comment: