Saturday, January 14, 2012

Firefighter for a Day.

One thing I have never wanted to be was a firefighter. Nope, no way.

However, the Fire Department on station hosted their Open House this Sunday, so I got to go be a firefighter for a few minutes! I got all decked out in the gear, which weighs about 80 pounds! Of course there are no firefighters that are 5'6", 130 pounds, so the gear was ginormous on me. I felt like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man with everything on!



I also learned how to roll out a fire hose in a straight line (which I couldn't do because I'm not strong enough), and how to roll it back up (which I couldn't do because the over-sized helmet kept falling in my face). And I got to spray the fire hose! You know how in movies, the fire hose always has a lot of power and sometimes goes flying around out of control? That's because the power comes from the fire truck itself. Lucky for me, this hose wasn't actually attached to the truck, so the water pressure wasn't bad at all. Laugh away at the photos. I know I look ridiculous.




It was going to go do a "rescue" in a room filled with fake smoke, but then my air tank wasn't working and I felt like I was suffocating in the mask, so....I quickly took it off and said no thanks :) The ride in the fire truck was much more up my alley.

Peace, Love & Fire.

1 comment:

  1. Check out my friend (on Facebook) Amy Bailey..she is a firefighter!! AND totally buff!

    ReplyDelete