Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012.

Happy New Year!

Antarctica was one of the first continents to ring in 2012! Every year, there is a celebration/concert down here called Icestock, along with a chili cookoff. I hung out at Icestock for a few hours, but I ended up going inside to sleep because I ate too much chili and my stomach was not happy. :) It was fun while I was there though, and the bands were great.


Yesterday afternoon I went out to the New Zealand base, called Scott Base. There are only about 30 people there, so it is significantly smaller than McMurdo.


Scott Base sits right along the ice, and there are beautiful pressure ridges that form alongside the base. There is a great description of how these ridges are formed at this blog. Tours go out to the ridges during the first half of the season, but they've stopped doing them since the sea ice is rapidly breaking up. But, the ridges are still beautiful from afar. I even saw an Emperor Penguin off in the distance! The landscape is so dramatic over by Scott Base, with Mt. Erebus (an active volcano) towering overhead. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.










Peace, love & Ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment