Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Uber.

It is 11 days before I deploy, and I have a sinus infection. Awesome.

So I spent the afternoon at home. I suddenly realized that I was leaving the country in 11 days, and got the itch to do something uber-creative with my free time, since my time on the Ice will most likely be devoid of uber-creative activities.

I've been trying to come up with a way to display my jewelry collection (if you can call it that) for the past few months. I'm not a fan of traditional jewelry storage, so I was waiting for the right idea to hit me....

....Boom. Happened today.

We'll start with the earring holder. I've seen some cute ideas on Pinterest for these -- you know, the frame-the-mesh-wire-and-hang-your-earrings-on-it ideas. They're cute but just not quite my style. I also didn't feel like cutting wire because I didn't feel like going out and buying wire cutters.

So I opted for a plastic canvas from Hobby Lobby! 59 cents and way easier to cut. Hot glued the corners to some scrap fabric, stuffed it in an Ikea frame (glass and backing removed, obviously), and viola! An earring holder. The whole thing cost me about $3.


Next up: my necklace display.

I found the wooden box/crate thing at Goodwill for $2.99. I should have taken a "before" photo, but once I get my mind set on something, I waste no time. :) Ask my mom. 

First thing I did was spray paint it white with some leftover paint I had laying around the house. After it dried, I measured the inside and cut out cardboard pieces to fit. I glued scrapbook paper (30 cents) to the cardboard, and fit them into the box. The great thing? I can easily change the paper if I get bored with it! 

Next, I took some little white hooks that we had and screwed them into the box...

...And I was done! It was so easy! 


I picked up the little rosebud vase at Goodwill too - for 99 cents! It was a nasty cream color with gold around the top, but after some primer and spray paint, it's as good as new! I think it adds a nice touch to the whole display. Also, the little bowl was a gift from when my best friend Amber went to Israel. It holds the stud earrings I wear on a weekly basis. :)





Sorry if the pictures aren't the best...I was just clicking and wasn't too worried about the lighting. A few are a little blurry...oops.

Peace, Love, & Creativity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment