Monday, August 22, 2011

What are you on?

So I finally joined 24-Hour Fitness. I've been putting it off mostly because I don't feel like throwing $30 a month away when we could be putting it towards our future home. But, I get a discount with Raytheon so I decided to go ahead and join.

And today, when I walked in, I was annoyed. Immediately.

I know not all people who work out are macho meat-head weight lifters. But SERIOUSLY. They overtake the gym with their huge muscles and it annoys me. I mean, it's really impressive that you're lifting a weight twice the size of my head, but I am perfectly content with curling 15 pounds and I don't need you STARING AT ME, thankyouverymuch.

So then, after two arm exercises, I decided I couldn't take it anymore and went upstairs to get some cardio in. I jumped on the treadmill, but the sweat-drenched man next to me was flicking perspiration on me, so I only lasted a mile. Then I decided to bike. Biking is fun. And people on bikes don't flick sweat nearly as bad. So I started pedaling, and all of a sudden something caught my eye. You see, the gym that I go to is somehow linked to Lance Armstrong (I'm not sure how, I've only been there once, obviously). So Lance's face is pretty much plastered all over the place, which is fine I guess. I'd rather it be Derek Jeter........



*sigh*

Anyway, so next to a giant photo of Lance is a quote from the biker:

"This is my body, and I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it; study it; tweak it; listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I am on. What am I on? I am on my bike busting my ass six hours a day; what are YOU on?"  

And all of a sudden, I had a total change of heart. Because I realized that the reason I'm at this smelly gym is so that I can push myself doing the things I love. Because, Mr. Armstrong, I'm on top of mountains. I'm on a snowboard. I'm on a running path high above sea level.  I'm on a trail leading up to a tucked-away turquoise waterfall. And I guess I can bust my ass at the gym so that I can be even better at climbing 14ers and shredding down the slopes. 

So fine. All you smelly, pump-you-up dudes can stick around. I'm just going to do my own thing. And I'll probably ignore you. But at least I know that I've climbed to the top of Colorado...and that's all that matters to me. :)




Peace, love & AnnoyingMachoMen.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to my gym! We should be workout buddies sometime :)

    ReplyDelete