Sunday, July 17, 2011

Quandary.

Well, we are officially Coloradoans. Why?

1) Mike has lived here for a year now (and I'm not far behind him!)
2) We conquered our first 14er

After hearing chatter about "peakbagging" and climbing 14ers, we decided we should probably attempt one. We did some research, and read that Quandary Peak, near Breckenridge, was an "easy" one to begin with. So we booked a campsite at Prospector Campground (just so we could use our sweet new tent), bought some trail mix, and went for it.

Dillon Reservoir on our way to the campground. God can make some pretty cool things.

About 8am or so, almost halfway up! I would also like to point out that I started this hike out with my ponytail in the middle of my head. By the time we reached the summit, it was a side pony because of the insane wind.

I was really excited about maybe seeing mountain goats...and we did :) This guy came down the trail like he owned it...which I guess he did, because we all got out of the way.

He really was this close! I wasn't zoomed in at all. 


Summit! 

This one is for you, Mom and Dad! One time, you made it to 12,005 feet at RMNP...now a little part of you has made it to 14,265 feet! (I mean the t-shirt, not the fact that I carry your genes)

So, we bagged one peak! I have to say that I have never been more winded in my life, nor have I ever resented my asthma as much as I did during our nearly 7 mile hike. But, the Walls are on the register at the summit, and that's what counts. I can't say that I fell in love with doing 14ers, but I do like a challenge (see Slacker post) and so I'm sure we'll do more of them in the future. 

Also, I have the best husband ever who agreed not to camp the second night (I don't sleep well in tents), took me out for Mexican/a giant margarita, and then took me to see Harry Potter. 

Peace, love & mountain goats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment