Monday, June 27, 2011

Slacker.

I have officially completed one of the goals I established after moving to Denver: run a half marathon in the Mile High City. I guess my ambitions ran away from me (haha, pun kind of intended), and I ended up signing up for the Slacker Half Marathon -- the highest downhill race in the country. It starts at Loveland Ski Area, at a whopping 10,630 feet above sea level, and travels down 8,400 feet to Georgetown. I was super excited to run it, but also really nervous, because it's taken me about half a year to really feel comfortable running at 5,280 feet! But, I did it anyway, and the good news is: I SURVIVED.

Granted, I was hobbling over the finish line, but I did, in fact, survive. The first five miles of the run were breathtaking -- we ran through a forest of densely-packed evergreens, complete with about four or so waterfalls trickling so beautifully down the mountain. Ahh.

The next 8 miles? Not so much. Still beautiful terrain, of course (how could it not be gorgeous in the Rockies?), but that constant downhill really starts wearing on your knees...and your right leg's IT band. Oh, and it got even better when they threw a half mile climb in the middle of the course (read: half mile climb of death in full mountain sunshine). So by the time I made it down the mountain and back into Georgetown, I was pretty beat! I finished in 2:28, which certainly was not what I was aiming for, but I guess running 13 miles down a mountain with hardly any oxygen is something not many people can say they can do! So, I'm proud of myself. But mostly, I'm really glad it's over.

3 half marathons down....zero more to go. I think I'll stick with 5k's and 10k's from now on.






Also: A shout out to hubby Mike Wall, who took care of me as I, er...got sick, the entire car ride home. And who went to the grocery store to get me 2 Gatorades, 1 Vitamin Water (NOT VITAMIN WATER ZERO), and some redwhiteandblue popsicles. (Apparently, I was very specific in my post-run delirium). He has also declared that I am cut off from pursuing any more half marathon endeavors, and I honestly don't blame him.

The rest of our weekend was lazy: lounging at the pool with church friends, hanging out at City Park Jazz with more friends (and family!), and watching Arrested Development until we fell asleep.

Overall, a great weekend. I feel like I end most of my posts that way, which is a good thing I guess :)

Peace, love, & NoMoreHalfMarathons.

No comments:

Post a Comment