Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bierstadt & BBQ

Second 14er: complete!

Along with our friend Stacy, Mike and I made it up another 14er! Mt. Bierstadt is now checked off, and it was absolutely breathtaking (in terms of scenery as well as what it did to our lungs). I didn't like Quandary all that much, mostly because of the hoards of people that accompanied us on our trek, but Bierstadt was a completely different experience.


We started out at 6am, and watching the sun come up over the Sawtooth Ridge was incredible. It didn't just slowly rise over the mountains, but it broke through with full force and drenched us in light. It was wonderful.



There's something about being out on a mountain, experiencing nature in its rawest form -- smelling the evergreens, climbing over boulders, tiptoeing over streams -- it just fills you with an incredible sense of wonder and adventure, but also with a sense of smallness. So often I get so caught up in bills, lists, and timecards that I forget how big God is, and how wonderful a world he made for us to enjoy -- but also to respect and marvel at. Because I don't know about you, but I think that Sawtooth looks intimidating, and I wouldn't want to be caught on it!





We finished up our afternoon with amazing barbeque in Idaho Springs, mostly because Stacy and Mike were craving sweet potato fries and talked about them the entire way up the mountain (in between singing Elton John's "Benny and the Jetts" and "Rocketman"). I have entertaining people in my life :)

Hope everyone has a great week -- remember to smile and to have fun! And if all else fails, try singing "Benny and the Jetts" when the day gets rough.

Peace, love, & Elton John.

No comments:

Post a Comment