Thursday, March 29, 2012

Couch Potato.

I had no access to movies or television in Antarctica, so I have been a total couch potato lately, catching up on favorite shows/movies, and discovering some new ones. 

Our most recent obsession is a show called Coal, which documents the successes (and failures) of a start-up coal mining business. It's pretty much a man show, but it's really interesting to see how hard the coal miners work, and how dangerous the conditions are. Being claustrophobic, I admire those people for crawling into a dark hole underneath a mountain. I would just start crying, I think. The show is extremely entertaining, with the thick country accents and hilarious personalities. It's also heartbreaking though, as the Appalachia region is extremely poor (check out this site). There is definitely a need out there, and after watching the show, I'm really interested in opportunities like this one to help meet the needs of those living in rural Appalachia.



We also watched Voyage of the Dawn Treader. That book is one of my all-time favorites, but the movie was pretty good. I cried. (Go figure).



...and that's about all that's been going on lately in the Wall household. Pretty exciting stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment